The fantastic IxDA Interaction 08 conference is barely a day over and videos of the presentations are already bubbling up online. Morten Hjerde spoke about design for everything that’s not an iPhone. And for those who are interested, my talk about how we can bring ethical evaluation into everyday design practice (video no longer available) is also available.
“Abstract: The iPhone is a beautiful and cool device. Admit it: it has gotten you started thinking about designing for mobile phones. But you are not aiming for only 1% of the market, are you? What about the other 99% of the phones out there? The Samsungs, the Palms, the Motorolas. Even if their native software is not dead-on cool, that does not mean that your software can’t be. This session will focus on the important differences between designing for a direct manipulation device like a PC and an indirect manipulation device like most mobile phones, the challenges you face and the opportunities you have when you get down to instantiating an actual mobile phone user interface across different devices.”
Link: “Design for the other 99%” (brightcove.tv, video no longer available)